I am the Happiness Coach and I’m excited to tell you that there has been recent research done in the US which supports what I tell you on a weekly basis – that happy people are more productive, creative and effective, in all areas of life.
On Tuesday 10th May 2011, ‘The Australian Financial Review’ published an article by Fiona Smith entitled ‘Happiness Is The Key To Life’s Successes’. The article is based on 200 studies of happiness by Shawn Achor, designer and teacher of the popular “Happiness Course” at Harvard University.
Some of the startling findings show:
1. When doctors are in a positive mood before making a diagnosis, they show almost three times more intelligence and creativity than doctors in a neutral state and they make accurate diagnoses 19% faster. (Estrada, Isen & Young).
2. Optimistic sales people outsell their pessimistic counterparts by 56%. (Seligman)
3. Happy workers have higher levels of productivity, produce higher sales, perform better in leadership positions and receive higher performance ratings and higher pay. They also enjoy more job security and are less likely to take sick days, to quit or to become burned out. (Lyubomirsky)
4. Happy, engaged workers have been shown to receive up to 25% higher job performance ratings than their unhappy colleagues, which translates into a better bottom line.
5. For every 100 happy managers, the average company could save nearly $US400,000 each year.
Shawn Achor says that happiness is the best predictor of success in any area of life – career, health, marriage, energy and creativity.
So how do you get happy? How do you tap into that deep, inner well of true, sustainable happiness when you are stressed out, depressed, anxious and unwell? If you’re not near Harvard, you could have Life Coaching, in person or on Skype, with me, The Happiness Coach. Every day I see people achieving so much more than they ever thought possible, just by changing their mindset.
In my own life, this change of mindset is having incredible results.
As the article says, when you’re happy, everything in your life improves and works better. You’ll be more motivated in every way. Relationships improve both at work and at home, you are more creative and more productive, then you become more successful in all areas – career, love, finances.
The most revolutionary aspect of the research by Shawn Achor, is that previously, it has generally been accepted that when we achieve ‘success’ , happiness will follow automatically. What his studies have found though is that the problem with putting success first is the goal posts keep being moved and the rules keep changing. True happiness from inside, is a constant, it doesn’t change and it is not affected by outside events or influences.
As I’ve often aid, what you focus on is what you will find. So when you are focused on happy, you find it and enjoy every aspect of life. So just notice the things you are focused on in your life, right now. Are you perhaps looking at the negative aspects around you rather than being grateful for all the good in your life?
And remember to get your FREE copy of my new ebook, “Get Your Happiness Here”!